I’ve always been a huge fan of Howard Stern. I grew up on him to say the least. There was nothing better to me then him going to Sirius Satellite Radio. I was so tired of all the commercials. I was tired of him having to stop discussions because of commercials or censorship.
So after a year of playing nothing but Howard, I decided to finally switch over to listen to Bubba. It took a few tries but I finally got into him. He grew on me, and for a while he was nearly on the same level of listening to Howard. But ultimately there was a few things that turned me off to Bubba. Actually, Bubba himself was one of the biggest turnoffs. Some of my favorite days were days that Bubba wasn’t in or left early and allowed Spiceboy, Brent and Manson to do their thing. Those three are really underrated and can have a thoughtful insightful discussion about anything and hold my intrest. Unfortunately when the conversation gets too complicated for Bubba, or when he gets ADD about it he bursts in and changes directions.
But lets get down to the point. Its almost 99% sure that Sirius will allow Bubba’s contract to expire. Its not actually a surprise, despite what some people say. From the coporate viewpoint here’s the reasons
- Bubba gang raped a girl in studio. Despite what he’s claimed, he had a girl with an outrageously huge dildo and a strap on insert it in another porn star with the threat of or else. This is despite the girl claiming that she couldn’t take it all and that it would hurt among 15 other reasons. If you see the video, it looks worse then the Puerto Rican Day parade in NYC. Given the state of radio, one can hardly bash coporate for not supporting Bubba following that act.
- Bubba claims to be the second most highest rated show on Satellite Radio behind Howard. As coporate claims, and anyone else can point out, anyone can pull huge ratings in that slot. Bubba’s only defense for that is that his ratings go up during the 3-7 period. Of course when he points this out, he fails to point out that Howards first replay usually ends anywhere from 4:30 to 6 and a lot of people get out of work at 5, and this rolls westward.
- Howards fans won’t cancel. They might be mad for a week or two, but someone new can pick up the slack. I came for Howard, not Bubba, and I’ll stay for Howard. I have 8 hours of work to kill, and I need Howard, Ferrall and hopefully a few hours of someone else to help kill off my shift. As much as I love the music on Sirius, It can’t stand for a few hours on its own. It seems like every channel is annoying. Theres never exactly what your looking for.
- Bubba won’t last on regular radio. Despite what he says, despite what he has done so far, he will make a mistake. One can’t forget when they were talking about the former Attorney General and Bubba blurted out “Whats that spic done now?” is one of the many moments of insanity which will get Bubba fired from regular radio in todays enviroment.
Theres also my feelings as a fan for Bubba. As I’ve said, my feelings as a fan have waned a lot more in the last year or so. I skipped the local Bubbapalooza and was more upset that I missed a free Artie Lange and Sal The Stockbroker. Here’s whats been the focal point of my feelings.
- The Whole Ned Thing. Listen, no one actually thinks Kurt VanHelm Jr (or whatever Fred’s Nazi charector is) is actually a real person. Ned is just a voice by Manson. In public he’s played by Manson’s father in law. At Bubbapalooza they turn down the lights cause its Manson dressed in the getup. In the Tampa area they already know this, they got the public records and the on air staff all made a certain amount, but there was no fifth on air talent just Manson getting a lot more money then everyone else. Ned’s original last name was Schnittt which happens to be Bubba’s opponet’s last name (MJ) So given that Ned had a tendency to fuck chickens and be gay it explains a lot. There was also a live Bubba Raw in which Jughead accidently caught Manson doing Ned’s voice while Ned wasn’t moving his mouth at all. Theres been a multitude of times where Ned said something and Bubba yelled at Manson. So in the end the whole deal with Ned is that Bubba is a wrestling fan, and its his way of working a gimmick over his fans, but its just an insult to our intelligence.
- On the idea of Bubba being a wrestling fan, he calls his fans Marks. Just for the uninformed, a Mark is Carny for an idiot to make a buck off of. And with all the crap that Bubba hocks on his show, flat out calling his fans idiots just there for him to make money off of is the most annoying. His Bubbapalooza only came around because he saw how much money Levy made marketing a comedy show to the Stern fans and decided that he could do it himself.
- Bubba’s inability to think of something really creative is annoying. He is so proud of shit hits the fan, but all it actually is is a fan in which he throws shit into and it gets blown onto some unlucky people. Other people might think of shit hits the fan being where a crazy jerry springer type situation is shown on air, but thats overthinking in Bubba’s world. Also whenever Bubba is outsmarted by the crew, he reverts to screaming and threatening to make pay cuts or pull peoples health insurance.
- Also, Bubba’s inability to lose gets annoying. From his stunt with the fake IV to him having suped up go karts so that he won’t lose a race. Anytime he wins he jumps and dances and celebrates, yet if someone beats him in anything he either changes the rules or rants and raves and changes the subject.
In the end my feeling is this. Howard has said On Air that he wanted to bring Kidd Chris to Satellite Radio, and Kidd Chris wanted to do his thing on regular radio. Despite Howard’s defense of Bubba, there are more opitions out there now that Howard has proven how solid Satellite Radio is. Booker is another one of Howard’s friends who needs a job and could easily full in. I’ve had the joy of hearing both of them, and they put on great shows. Although I never heard Booker in Philly, he was #1 multiple times in Morning drive in Philly. Theres nowhere that Howard is loved more then Philly and with Booker and Kidd Chris he has two former Philly ratings getters who can easily step in. They’ll get the same ratings evantully, and evantully Bubba will get himself fired from regular radio and Bubba will be kicking himself.