So who were these mystery people over at Siriuslyscrewed.com? They campaigned like mad men, and then a day or two before the “cancell your subscription on this day to send a huge message to Sirius” they suddenly change their mind because Sirius was bringing back the channel Backspin. They claimed that although not everything was how they wanted it, and how not everyone was happy about it, they had done as much as they could and then they would shut down Siriusly Screwed. Funny enough if you go to the website today it just forwards you to SiriusXM.
I’m of the belief with others that Siriusly Screwed was more then likely setup by Sirius executives as a round about way to test the waters about the changes they had made. They never had any plan to have people cancel their accounts, and instead jumped on the top Sirius news stories to get a reply from the listener base. They especially need this since they outsource their customer service, and anyone thats talked to their customer service realizes that they will say anything to keep you as a customer or to keep you happy.
By now its obvious that Sirius could have kept around a lot more channels for a wider array of music choices. Which is exactly what you want from Satellite Radio, otherwise why pay for it if it sounds the same as regular radio? An even more annoying thing that has been SiriusXM showing how easy it was to broadcast the same thing to both receivers. Yet they still want you to pay extra if you want to hear the “Best Of ….” and of course the Best Of of both sides includes the sports that the Merger was bragging about putting into one place. For people like me that mostly listen to the internet stream of Sirius, its impossible to actually listen to games because the NFL and NHL among others hold the rights for the Internet Feed of the games and thus charge people themselves to hear the games. Of course when Best Of came out they said it was due to expenses in broadcasting on both bands, which after the merging of all the Music channels we know now was a bunch of bs.
Of course to insult the subscribers even more there the whole Bubba situation. I said it well before he re-signed that they should have just let him go and brought in Kidd Chris or Booker. It was time for something or someone fresh. Bubba had spent most of the last year bashing the Sirius show and basically admitting he was half assing his way through the year. To anyone that listened it was obvious he kept the afternoon show just as a way to make money off merchandise and Bubbapaloozas. It was getting to the point that Sirius was going to let Bubba go. So a few days before that happened, Bubba gets on the radio and starts ranting to get the fans to force Sirius’ hands. Appearently the fans did force Sirius, so they gave Bubba a new deal. Everyone celebrated and was happy, untill Bubba came back. Word spread quickly that all the deal did was put a replay in the 3-7 slot of Bubba’s Censored AM show. The backlash was quick and fierce, and thus Bubba actually blamed Sirius, despite the fact that he forced Sirius to sign him and was unwilling to work an extra four hours a day.
Of course Bubba said that he “needed his life back” and blamed the day for him gaining weight and causing stress in his family. This of course ignores the fact that he began gaining weight back from the second he signed with Sirius. This also ignores the fact that his wife is obviously too good looking for him. She’s with him just because he is rich and famous. But no, its obviously because he has to work 8 hours of radio a day that they are on edge. But in the end what did Bubba expect? He worked the fans into a shoot knowing that they wouldn’t be happy with a replay of his morning show, and did it anyway cause he’s a greedy fat fuck. I don’t blame Sirius for signing him, they were forced to. Personally I would have moved him to the trucker channel and see what kind of ratings he got without Howard’s lead in. To make matters even worse, his friday 10-2 show usually consists of them making fun of the fans for being annoyed about the new setup.
Today it was announced that Bubba The Love Sponge signed a new two year deal with Sirius. This is rather unfortunate because of two things. Either the whole time Bubba was bitching and spewing about not having a deal they were in talks, or Bubba decided to pull a work and string along Sirius listeners with the drama about him being back. More then likely it was a work, and a feel good moments for the fans of Bubba. But in the end its the Sirius fan that loses. Bubba has spend more of his time on contract complaining about his contracts then actually creating content. Not only that, but him and his crew have admitted that they are more then willing to put on half assed shows for the PAYING audience. That tells you what Sirius really thinks of their listeners.
So this new contract means that Kidd Chris and Booker continue to be on the shelf when it comes to Satellite Radio. Its rather sad, as they could have easily fit onto Howard 101. Kidd Chris had been on the Stern Show multiple times and was always popular. He was the person that Howard originally wanted, unfortunately Kidd Chris decided to work regular radio and get fired. But with his track record and popularity in Philly (long considered Howards #2 market) he would have been an easy fit. The same can be said of Booker who not only was having success in Philly but had been impressive in his time at 92.3 Krock while Stern was the morning host. These two talented hosts continue on the shelf and the Sirius listener gets the Shaft from an untalented hick of a host who refuses to work hard for a paying audience.
Then theres also the Siriusly Screwed people. They were campaigning for as many Sirius people as possible to close their accounts. The biggest complaint from them was the drop of two stations, mainly “Backspin” and “Strobe”. The day before the mass cancellation was supposed to take affect they announced the return of these two stations. Thus over at Siriusly Screwed decided that the mass cancellations would serve no purpose. Yet they also claim that they will continue the Campaign. One might question what motivated Siriusly Screwed. Did they get some sort of payout? Were they just Sirius Suits pretending to be annoyed fans for a cheap guage? One thing can be known for sure, they have so far come off as complete tools.
I’ve always been a huge fan of Howard Stern. I grew up on him to say the least. There was nothing better to me then him going to Sirius Satellite Radio. I was so tired of all the commercials. I was tired of him having to stop discussions because of commercials or censorship.
So after a year of playing nothing but Howard, I decided to finally switch over to listen to Bubba. It took a few tries but I finally got into him. He grew on me, and for a while he was nearly on the same level of listening to Howard. But ultimately there was a few things that turned me off to Bubba. Actually, Bubba himself was one of the biggest turnoffs. Some of my favorite days were days that Bubba wasn’t in or left early and allowed Spiceboy, Brent and Manson to do their thing. Those three are really underrated and can have a thoughtful insightful discussion about anything and hold my intrest. Unfortunately when the conversation gets too complicated for Bubba, or when he gets ADD about it he bursts in and changes directions.
But lets get down to the point. Its almost 99% sure that Sirius will allow Bubba’s contract to expire. Its not actually a surprise, despite what some people say. From the coporate viewpoint here’s the reasons
- Bubba gang raped a girl in studio. Despite what he’s claimed, he had a girl with an outrageously huge dildo and a strap on insert it in another porn star with the threat of or else. This is despite the girl claiming that she couldn’t take it all and that it would hurt among 15 other reasons. If you see the video, it looks worse then the Puerto Rican Day parade in NYC. Given the state of radio, one can hardly bash coporate for not supporting Bubba following that act.
- Bubba claims to be the second most highest rated show on Satellite Radio behind Howard. As coporate claims, and anyone else can point out, anyone can pull huge ratings in that slot. Bubba’s only defense for that is that his ratings go up during the 3-7 period. Of course when he points this out, he fails to point out that Howards first replay usually ends anywhere from 4:30 to 6 and a lot of people get out of work at 5, and this rolls westward.
- Howards fans won’t cancel. They might be mad for a week or two, but someone new can pick up the slack. I came for Howard, not Bubba, and I’ll stay for Howard. I have 8 hours of work to kill, and I need Howard, Ferrall and hopefully a few hours of someone else to help kill off my shift. As much as I love the music on Sirius, It can’t stand for a few hours on its own. It seems like every channel is annoying. Theres never exactly what your looking for.
- Bubba won’t last on regular radio. Despite what he says, despite what he has done so far, he will make a mistake. One can’t forget when they were talking about the former Attorney General and Bubba blurted out “Whats that spic done now?” is one of the many moments of insanity which will get Bubba fired from regular radio in todays enviroment.
Theres also my feelings as a fan for Bubba. As I’ve said, my feelings as a fan have waned a lot more in the last year or so. I skipped the local Bubbapalooza and was more upset that I missed a free Artie Lange and Sal The Stockbroker. Here’s whats been the focal point of my feelings.
- The Whole Ned Thing. Listen, no one actually thinks Kurt VanHelm Jr (or whatever Fred’s Nazi charector is) is actually a real person. Ned is just a voice by Manson. In public he’s played by Manson’s father in law. At Bubbapalooza they turn down the lights cause its Manson dressed in the getup. In the Tampa area they already know this, they got the public records and the on air staff all made a certain amount, but there was no fifth on air talent just Manson getting a lot more money then everyone else. Ned’s original last name was Schnittt which happens to be Bubba’s opponet’s last name (MJ) So given that Ned had a tendency to fuck chickens and be gay it explains a lot. There was also a live Bubba Raw in which Jughead accidently caught Manson doing Ned’s voice while Ned wasn’t moving his mouth at all. Theres been a multitude of times where Ned said something and Bubba yelled at Manson. So in the end the whole deal with Ned is that Bubba is a wrestling fan, and its his way of working a gimmick over his fans, but its just an insult to our intelligence.
- On the idea of Bubba being a wrestling fan, he calls his fans Marks. Just for the uninformed, a Mark is Carny for an idiot to make a buck off of. And with all the crap that Bubba hocks on his show, flat out calling his fans idiots just there for him to make money off of is the most annoying. His Bubbapalooza only came around because he saw how much money Levy made marketing a comedy show to the Stern fans and decided that he could do it himself.
- Bubba’s inability to think of something really creative is annoying. He is so proud of shit hits the fan, but all it actually is is a fan in which he throws shit into and it gets blown onto some unlucky people. Other people might think of shit hits the fan being where a crazy jerry springer type situation is shown on air, but thats overthinking in Bubba’s world. Also whenever Bubba is outsmarted by the crew, he reverts to screaming and threatening to make pay cuts or pull peoples health insurance.
- Also, Bubba’s inability to lose gets annoying. From his stunt with the fake IV to him having suped up go karts so that he won’t lose a race. Anytime he wins he jumps and dances and celebrates, yet if someone beats him in anything he either changes the rules or rants and raves and changes the subject.
In the end my feeling is this. Howard has said On Air that he wanted to bring Kidd Chris to Satellite Radio, and Kidd Chris wanted to do his thing on regular radio. Despite Howard’s defense of Bubba, there are more opitions out there now that Howard has proven how solid Satellite Radio is. Booker is another one of Howard’s friends who needs a job and could easily full in. I’ve had the joy of hearing both of them, and they put on great shows. Although I never heard Booker in Philly, he was #1 multiple times in Morning drive in Philly. Theres nowhere that Howard is loved more then Philly and with Booker and Kidd Chris he has two former Philly ratings getters who can easily step in. They’ll get the same ratings evantully, and evantully Bubba will get himself fired from regular radio and Bubba will be kicking himself.