I didn’t even think this was a real story until I googled it.
The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported Sunday that a California artist has been chosen for the project and revealed a few interesting details, courtesy of sources close to the team.
The statue will depict Lemieux, circa 1988-89, splitting two Islanders defenders, who will remain unidentified per Lemieux’s request. The plan for a statue of Mario Lemieux splitting two Islanders defenders, circa the 1988-89 season, is in the process of being finalized.
Do I care that Pittsburgh is putting up a statue to Mario Lemieux? No, not at all.
Do I find it insulting that they are going to use two Islanders Defenders (even if unidentified) as part of the statue? YES!
There is absolutely no reason that the Islanders organization should go along with this. There is no need for the statue to have any identifying marks other then Mario. I mean how many statues actually show the defending players anyway? Micheal Jordan isn’t dunking over anyone. Somehow Wayne Gretzky can make due with a statue of him holding the Stanley Cup over his head. But Mario, no. He needs to be splitting two Islanders defenders.
Personally, I think Mario hates the Islanders. Because the Islanders stopped his Penguins dreams of being a Dynasty, of being more then a back to back Cup winner. The Islanders team should have never gotten to game 5 in 1993, let alone beat that Penguins team in 7 games. That was always the last Hurrah of the Islanders. Lemieux was never the same player again over the next few seasons as a multitude of injuries and degenerative conditions made playing a complete season tough. Given the failures of the Islanders since that great run in 1993, I’ve always felt they were cursed by Mario.
So in response to this news of a Mario Statue featuring two Islander players, I Demand that the Islanders put up a Statue of David Volek scoring an Overtime Game Winning Goal on an Unnamed Penguins Goalie in an Unnamed Game Seven of an Unidentified playoff series between the two teams in 1993.
Plus I hate Pittsburgh anyway. It seems like everything bad that happens to one of my teams is always tied into Pittsburgh:
- The Mario Curse on the Islanders (No Playoff Wins since 93)
- The Islanders suck for almost 20 years, but the Penguins get Sidney Crosby after 4 bad seasons
- The Jets sign Neil O’Donnel from the Steelers, team collapses.
- The Jets kicker misses 3 field goals against the Steelers in the divisional round. Steelers win the game in OT via FG and go on to lose to the Pats, a team the Jets had beaten during the season.
- The Mets sign Bobby Bonilla from the Pirates and he is a bust beyond belief.
- The Steelers always get almost every call in their favor, and have cheated their way to a Super Bowl appearance (Kordell Stewart went out the back of the endzone and came back in on the winning TD catch that got them to the Super Bowl against the Cowboys) and Super Bowl Win (the Win against the Seahawks was a joke)
- Plus my ex girlfriend and her family are from Philly but like the Steelers. And she was a slut. So Fuck her and Pittsburgh
So let’s get to work on the David Volek 1993 Memorial Statue starring an Unidentified Penguins goalie whose last name begins with a B! Spread the word and let’s try using a twitter hash, #VolekStatue. It’s bad enough that the Islanders are struggling like they are, but let’s not let another team make a Statue mocking our team.